Thursday, May 3, 2018

Autonomous McQueen


                                                                            Hi kids!
Figure 1 Lightning McQueen
Its Lightning McQueen here and I'm going to teach you about Autonomous Cars. An Autonomous Car is a car like myself, which requires no driver to be present (1). With today's technology I can win the Piston Cup all by myself! 
However, before the race I want to let you in on a secret. I wasn't always able to drive on my own. In fact, I had to go through five levels of Automation before I could!

Let's learn how I became fully autonomous Lightning McQueen! But before I tell you, I want you to guess when your parents can buy a fully autonomous car just like me! I'll reveal the answer at the end, keep reading to find out. 

When I was first built I was a level zero no automation vehicle. Level zero no automation means I could only race with a driver behind the wheel (2). As much as I loved my driver Steve McQueen I couldn't wait to become a level one driver assistance car.

As a level one car Steve McQueen continued to be in full control, but I had new perks! I could roll down the windows all on my own as long as Steve was in the car. When I was upgraded to level two partial automation I was able to give Steve's foot a rest from driving and take control of the speed using cruise control. Cruise control is a function that allows Steve to press a button that maintains my speed. When I advance onto a level three conditional automation I am able to have complete control of driving myself (2). 

However, on level three Steve McQueen still has to be there to take control if needed! If there is an area of the road I do not recognize Steve will be there to help. Finally at level four high automation I am able to drive all by myself, but ONLY on certain roadways, on this level I am not fully adapted to all road settings (2). 

Last but not least, the final level, Level five full automation which is the level I needed to get to in order to be Lightning McQueen. I am now able to drive on all road ways, the high way, the race track, anywhere! Remember when I told you to guess what year your parents could have a fully autonomous vehicle? Well I hope you guessed correctly, it's the year 2020! Soon enough your car will be able to operate just like me. That's all I have for you right now. I have to get back to Radiator Springs to help Mater! 







References
matthew.lynberg.ctr@dot.gov. “Automated Vehicles for Safety.” NHTSA, NHTSA, 13 Apr. 2018, www.nhtsa.gov/technology-innovation/automated-vehicles?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=autonomousvehicles&utm_campaign=av-17-18.
 “Disney HD Lightning McQueen Wallpaper.” High Definition, High Resolution HD Wallpapers, 22 Jan. 2014, www.highreshdwallpapers.com/disney-hd-lightning-mcqueen-wallpaper/.             
 GIPHY. “Animated GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY.” GIPHY, GIPHY, 5 Apr. 2018, giphy.com/gifs/nqYXNf3aK6EvK.             




No comments:

Post a Comment